Building a strong team is an important aspect of any healthcare leadership role. Companies and even projects often fail because they don’t have the right mix of people in place. However, when the right talent does come together, truly magical things can happen – whether that is transforming a culture, introducing a new product or disrupting an entire industry.
The film The Magnificent 7, which opens in theaters later this month, can teach us a few things about healthcare recruiting. Hired to protect a small village from a band of outlaws, one man must recruit a team to help him execute his task. Without spoiling the movie, below are 7 tips for recruiting your Magnificent 7:
1. Hire a diverse group of people. In a collaborative work environment, it’s important to hire people with a diverse set of skills and experiences. Each individual will bring a unique perspective to the project and help spur creativity and growth from the entire team.
2. Hire to fill key skill sets. When building a strong team, it’s imperative you have the right mix of skills. Consider the skills needed to tackle your project effectively, then hire for those positions until each has been checked off the list.
3. Hire people who are committed to the end goal or objective of your team. It’s important that everyone on your team is committed to achieving your company or department’s goals. In the case of the Magnificent 7, this meant protecting the village. However, in the healthcare environment, this can be as simple as ensuring a positive customer service experience for your health plan’s members.
4. Hire people with a desire to take on the competition. While your competition is likely less volatile than a band of outlaws, hiring a team that will work together to beat your competitor is a good practice. Hire people who are driven to be the best and brightest in the industry. In doing so, they will help your company succeed.
5. Hire people with a fighting spirit. When the going gets tough, you want to be sure that your team is stacked with individuals who will fight to finish the job at hand. Beyond having a strong resume, look for individuals with the tenacity to get the job done no matter how challenging it may be.
6. Hire people who respect your team. While being a standout is important in Hollywood, it doesn’t bode well in a team environment. Make sure you are hiring people who respect their team and work well in a collaborative environment. Often, the best ideas are formed when your team works together.
7. Hire people who are willing to make sacrifices. In a professional environment, we all make sacrifices for the betterment of our team, whether that is working late to complete a project or taking the time to help someone on our team. Make sure this is a quality that all of your recruits exemplify.
Whether you are searching for high-level executives, temporarily filling vacant positions or building out marketing communications departments, Cody can provide recruiting services to help you find your Magnificent 7. Contact us today and work with the best in the business.